DEDICATED TO FAMILIES
The YMCA’s after school curriculum has been enhanced in several ways to include more physical activity and healthier snacks, and to reduce screen time to educational and physically interactive programs. All sites benefit from the following Healthy Eating Physical Activity (HEPA) Standards for Afterschool Programs:
- Ensure that children engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day (for full-day programs), including a mix of moderate and vigorous physical activities that promote bone and muscle strengthening.
- Play will take place daily outdoors whenever possible.
- No access to television or movies.
- Limit digital device time to less than one hour per day. Digital devise use is limited to homework or programs that actively engage children in activity.
- Serve fruits or vegetables at every meal.
- Serve meals family style.
- No fried foods.
- Offer water at the table during every meal and have water accessible at all times.
- Serve beverages that do not have added sugars.
- Serve healthier beverages, including water, low-fat (1%) or non-fat milk, or 100% fruit juice (no more than one 6-8 oz. serving per day.)
Future Programming for Parents
- Implement an educational program for parents and childcare providers with physical activity and nutritional information relevant to the health of their children